08 May 2011

Happy Mother's Day: It Hurts When I Laugh

It's Mother's Day today, and it's coming to a close.  It was a wonderful day, but different.  I missed going to church with my family.  And I missed being all together with my mom, sister, brother and their families.  But it was a nice day, just different. 

The plan was that Nareg would bring over Thai food and that Ani would make dessert..and we'd sit on the couch, vege and watch Harry Potter.  That's what we did.  The food was great, the dessert was beautiful (and yummy) and the movie was suspenseful.

Throughout the day, while talking to the family, or on the phone with my brother, I caught myself saying "don't make me laugh....it hurts to laugh."  Holding my gut, I'd lean over and brace myself.  But the response was always, "YOU'RE the one telling the joke...you're doing it to yourself."  It made me realize that it really was me.  That despite the major surgery, this terrible disease and all that goes with it, life was still funny, and good...and being with my family was really the best possible medicine ever. 

It was a good day.  A really nice fun day.  I missed my mom who was at my brother & sister in law's house.  And she missed  being with us as well.  But there is always tomorrow.  Tomorrow is also Mother's day, and the next day, and the next day!  She's coming over tomorrow.   I'm so blessed.  Happy Mother's day to all the mom's out there -- especially the Best Mom...My Mom  -- who has taught me so much about love, faith, hope, parenting, prayer and compassion. 

To my wonderful children, Thank You, for blessing me with being your mom.  I love you both so much.  Thank you for a great day...and for the laughter and smiles.

Ani's lemon bars, chocolate chip cookies, and amaretto cream strawberries (and good coffee)

3 comments:

anikohar said...

Thank YOU for being the best, strongest, funniest, most loving-est, inspiring mom and best friend ever. I am happy that you enjoyed your day and looking forward to every one to come. I love you! xoxoxo

Suzie Shatarevyan said...

When I see you, I'm going to tickle you! Hehe :D
You're not the only one missing... We all missed you too. When I get to church Sunday mornings I always look in the direction of the spot where you sit. Not seeing you there this morning was hard, but I know this is only temporary.
And you're absolutely right: It's mother's day everyday!! Happy Mother's Day Anush jan!!!

Liana said...

The Happiest of Mother's Days to you Anush. I love reading about your experiences and I'm so glad you're writing. Sending love and strength your way.